Hi everyone.

I already install turnkey-mediaserver.. every was fine..

but i dont know what is the default user and pass for console....either the web

can helpme pls?

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

To log into Webmin or a shell (i.e. Webshell, SSH and/or console) you need to log in as root (i.e. username 'root' - password set at firstboot).

To log into the Jellyfin Media Server UI, the default username is 'jellyfin' (and password you set at firstboot).

If you don't recall your root user password and you haven't added any significant amount of data, then probably the easiest way to go would be to just start again (i.e. do a clean install). If you have data, then you can rescue it and reset your root password. It's a bit of a process, but not too bad.

An overview of the process is:

Boot from a live Linux system (you could use the TurnKey ISO or any other live Debian/Ubuntu based system - although it likely needs LVM included).

Once booted, you need to mount the existing Mediaserver root volume. If you used the default install options, you installed with LVM. To load logical volumes, you'll need to first load them.

vgchange -ay

If you installed with LVM and that command worked successfully, you should see this response:

2 logical volume(s) in volume group "turnkey" now active

Now mount "turnkey/root" volume:

mount /dev/turnkey/root /mnt

Now a little more set up (mount dev, proc & sys):

mount -t proc /proc /mnt/proc/
mount --rbind /sys /mnt/sys/
mount --rbind /dev /mnt/dev/

Now chroot in:

chroot /mnt

And reset your root password:

passwd root

Exit out and unmount:

exit # exit out of chroot
umount /mnt/dev
umount /mnt/proc
umount /mnt/sys
umount /mnt

Now reboot and you should be good to go...

Thanks Jeremy for your asnwer. But the problem is that, in the firts boot nothing happend.

I work with proxmox.. and I download the template.. when I create the container and run. nothing happend.. and the login screen appears..

Jeremy Davis's picture

Edit/Update:
Re-reading your post, it seems that perhaps you are unaware that when running as LXC, the root password is set on the Proxmox host - prior to starting it! Then once it starts, you need to log in as root (via terminal, SSH or even NoVNC console - via the PVE webUI) and set the "jellyfin" user password, etc. I suspect that info was the missing piece to get you up and running!?

Original unchanged response below

Sorry about that, I assumed that it was a "proper" VM (or bare metal install). Containers are a little different. In fact LXC on Proxmox is even easier!

Log into a terminal on your Proxmox host (e.g. via SSH or local console) and run the following (assuming that your LXC container is running):

pct enter VMID

Where VMID is the actual VM ID number of your server. That will log you into the container as root (without requiring password). You can then reset the password like this:

passwd

Then exit out:

exit

You should now be good to go with your new password.

Add new comment